Goffstown's first depot was built here in 1850. About 1880, the original passenger station was moved westward to become a freight depot, and this passenger station was built. In 1952, the passenger station was moved about 30 feet and an adjoining storefront was built on Main Street.
The Depot was built about 1880 and served as a passenger station until 1938. In 1952 this depot was moved 30 feet and incorporated into a hardware store which it still is today. Since Apotheca used to be a depot the street that it’s on is named Depot Street. In 1850, the New Hampshire Central Railroad completed a line from Manchester to Goffstown. Depots were located here and at Parker Station, Shirley Station, and Grasmere. Goffstown’s first depot was built here in 1850. About 1880, the original passenger station was replaced with the present structure and the older station was moved westward to become the freight depot (today’s Goffstown AutoParts). In 1952, this passenger station was moved about 30 feet and an adjoining new brick hardware store was built on Main Street by Herbert Johnstone. Present owner Larry Brown restored the depot station to its original appearance and incorporated it in his business as the paint department. This simple and utilitarian structure was constructed in two parts and consists of a 22 x 50' front section with a 20th century 26' x 82' addition extending to the rear. The front structure, which appears to be the original structure, rests on brick and concrete piers, while that to the rear has a concrete foundation. Both sections are clad in board-and- batten siding and capped by an asphalt roof. This building, originally located on Main Street, served as the first passenger station after the railroad came to town in 1850. About 1880 it was replaced by a new depot (presently part of the hardware store). The building was sold by the Boston & Maine Railroad to the Jones Grain Company in 1958 and was owned by H.K. Webster & Co. from 1963 to 1965. Later owners included Robert and Jane Pokigo (1965-1983) and John and Robert Sarette (1983-2002). It housed an auto parts store for a number of years but is presently vacant. This now serves as Goffstown’s charming shop known as Apotheca, where you can get flowers, coffee, and treats.
24 Main Street