Goffstown Town Hall
16 Main Street
The Goffstown Town Hall is a two-story, Colonial Revival structure constructed in two phases in 1947 and 1969. The previous town hall which stood on this site was constructed in 1869, extensively renovated in 1889 and destroyed by fire on March 11, 1937. Due to the economic uncertainties of the Depression and World War II, the town rejected articles to build a new town hall in 1937 and 1938, using the Grange Hall at Grasmere instead. It was not until 1947 that Town Meeting finally approved an appropriation of $13,000 to construct a basement with a seating capacity of up to 600 persons and the front section of a first floor including fireproof vaults and offices. This section of the town hall was dedicated in 1947 and built according to designs by architect Norris Corey. The cost of this flat- roofed structure was approximately $43,000. In 1948 town meeting defeated a proposed article to complete and furnish the town hall. The Town Hall was completed in 1969 following a bequest of $296,055.75 from Mildred G. Stark. The completed town hall was dedicated on June 21, 1970. Alexander Majeski served as the architect for the addition; the contractor was Don Wheeler. The tower clock was donated by John, Harry and William Parker and Mary Parker Nelson in memory of their parents, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Stinson Parker. A brick sidewalk including a number of sponsored bricks has been installed in front of the town hall as well as several benches and some planting beds edged in granite. The landscaped area to the southeast of the building has a rock with bronze plaque commemorating the service of Selectman Charles Weilbrener from 1966 to 1971. To the northeast of the town hall is a flagpole donated by the Uncanoonuc Grange No. 40 Patrons of Husbandry. The Town Hall still stands pretty at the center of town for all our citizens to see.
The original Town Hall building was constructed in 1869, and was destroyed by a fire in 1937. From 1937 to 1947 citizens used the Grange Hall at Grasmere as a makeshift Town Hall. The Town Hall was completed in 1969 following a generous bequest from Mildred G. Stark.